What we do:
• LiveFriday event planning: the Board runs a stall or activity at each Ashmolean LiveFriday event, aiming to engage an audience of students with the museum collections. As a Board Member, you will be part of the creative process: brainstorming ideas for the stall, helping to organize the activity in the run-up to the event, and being there on the night to enjoy the fruits of your labours.
• Creative workshops: the Board also puts on independent creative events in the Museum, which in the past have included life drawing sessions and pottery workshops. Board members are encouraged to pitch any ideas that they have for future workshops at meetings, and a team from the Ashmolean will be on hand to help make them happen.
• Talking Objects blog: the Board is responsible for a lively ‘Talking Objects’ blog, which publishes student responses to pieces in the Ashmolean collections. As a Board member, you’ll be able to approve and edit blog posts submitted by other students and, working with the Public Engagement Officer, you will help to organize themed object-handling sessions in the Museum to facilitate the writing of blog posts.
Voice opinions: The Board is called upon to give the student perspective on museum matters and planning.
Who we are looking for:
Enthusiastic undergraduates (1st and 2nd year) and postgraduates from Oxford University and Oxford Brookes.
Love museums, art, and archaeology
• Usually there are two or three Student Creative Board meetings per academic term, lasting around an hour and a half each.
• Other than these meetings, Board members can expect to spend an additional 2 / 3 hours a week on Board business, particularly in the run-up to big events such as LiveFriday.